Parents Council | APPLY HERE
The Parents Council at University Park provides general guidance and support for Parents Program initiatives. The Council offers input regarding parental engagement and involvement efforts to the Vice President for Student Affairs, the Vice President and Dean for Undergraduate Education, and the Parents Program Director by communicating issues of central importance to supporting family members, providing feedback about current University programs, and recommending possible program offerings.
- To assist Penn State in providing a positive experience for parents and family members of undergraduate students
- To help shape the parental engagement and outreach initiatives of the Parent Program at Penn State, University Park
- To encourage involvement and participation from parents and family members that reflect Penn State’s diverse undergraduate student population
- Attend biannual Council meetings at the University Park campus (held during Parents & Families Weekend in fall semester, Blue & White Weekend spring semester; travel and lodging at your own expense)
- Provide strategic input to senior administrators regarding issues of importance to parents and students
- Represent the Parents Council at parent and family events and through other outreach efforts
- Help recruit future Parents Council members
- Participate in Parents Program assessment efforts
- Maintain frequent contact with Penn State Parents Program staff
- Serve a two-year renewable term
Member Benefits Include:
- An opportunity to shape the parent and family experience at Penn State
- The ability to maintain involvement with your student’s educational institution
- Becoming more knowledgeable about University resources and programs that support student learning and engagement
- Opportunities to engage with University administrators on a regular basis
- Access to a group rate hotel block for biannual Council meeting weekends (held Parents & Families Weekend in fall semester, Blue & White Weekend spring semester)
- The opportunity to meet and network with other Penn State families
- Invitations to special events
Council members must be a parent or supporting family member of a full-time undergraduate student of Penn State University Park. Members must share the belief that familial support enhances student success in college and must seek to make a positive impact on student life at Penn State through their involvement with the Parents Program. Interested family members are asked to make a two-year commitment to ensure continuity on the Council. The Parents Council strives to recruit members that represent the diversity of Penn State’s undergraduate student population.
Please note: Penn State faculty, staff, and students are not eligible to become members of the Parents Council; however, they may apply to volunteer as Parent Ambassadors.
The application deadline for the 2017-2019 Parents Council is November 27, 2016.
If you would like more information about the Parents Council, please contact:
Parents Program | 814-863-1313 or firstname.lastname@example.org.